A Saudi-led coalition on Wednesday announced a military offensive in Yemen’s northwestern province of Marib, accusing the Houthis of staging attacks in the province and of taking over civilian areas.
A coalition statement said its military operations against Houthi-ruled Yemen would target Houthi fighters and seize the capital, Sanaa, to bring an end to the war.
The coalition said the offensive would include a new offensive in the provinces of Marab, Anbar and the Yemeni province of Taiz, as well as parts of the provinces and the Saudi city of Jizan.
Al Jazeera’s John Simpson, reporting from Sanaa in Yemen, said the coalition’s offensive in Marib is the latest in a series of moves against the Houthi group in Yemen since its takeover in 2014.
We were hearing about the Saudi-sponsored offensive to retake Marib from the Houthiyas and that is very likely what they are talking about.
The coalition statement also called for the evacuation of civilians in the area and the return of any civilians who had been displaced by the fighting.
Al Jazeera’s Mohammed Ali al-Nasser, reporting in Sanaa from the capital city, said coalition jets and helicopters had already hit several areas in the north, including in a town near Marib.
The Saudi-backed coalition has been battling the Houthij rebels since March last year, when the group seized power from a Saudi-allied government led by former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
The fighting has killed more than 10,000 people and displaced some 10 million people in the region, and displaced millions more.
The United Nations has called the conflict a humanitarian crisis and the HouthIs have been accused of committing war crimes and crimes against humanity.