Oman has shut down the country’s only restaurant for the elderly, after a deadly wave of suicide bombings in the capital, killing five people.
The city of Sadiq was the target of more than 100 suicide bombings since early December, killing at least 20 people, the countrys state news agency said.
The government said the attack on Sadiq, which is located near the airport, was carried out by members of the banned Muslim Brotherhood.
“It’s not a random act, we have no doubt that the bombers were motivated by the threats and pressure they had received from the Muslim Brotherhood and its affiliates,” Interior Minister Abdullah Al-Mazrouei said on Thursday.
“There is no doubt in our mind that the bombing was carried to kill and maim.”
He said the government would investigate and hold responsible those responsible.
He said there had been no indication that the attackers were connected to other attacks on the city, but the government had no specific information to indicate who was behind the attack.
The attack took place just hours after the Interior Ministry announced that an investigation had found no links to Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) groups or the banned Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU).
The government’s warning came after the United States urged the government to step up security at the countryside amid rising security fears over the growing threat from the Islamist group.